Filing a Claim

What do I need to do to file a UI claim or extension for UI benefits?

First, you must decide how to file your claim. The California Employment Development Department (“EDD”) offers the following claim filing options:

Use the online application, eApply4UI. This application allows you to type in your answers to questions and submit online. Note: This is the fastest way to file your claim.
File by telephone. Contact the EDD at one of their call centers using a toll-free telephone number.

Use a paper application, UI Application, DE 1101I. The DE 1101I is a document you print, hand write your answers and either fax or mail it to EDD for claim filing.
Note: The above options may also be used to reactivate an existing claim or file for extended benefits.

Now what?

After you have decided on a claim filing option, be prepared to provide the information the EDD will need to file your claim. Some information will be about your recent employment and about you personally for identification and statistical purposes, such as date of birth and years of education.

If the EDD needs to verify any of the identifying information you provide while filing a claim, you will receive additional forms by mail and will be asked to provide additional information and/or documentation.

Because your time is valuable and the EDD wants the claim filing process to go as quickly as possible, the EDD has identified critical items you should have immediately available regardless of which option you select to file your claim.

Information the EDD will need:

  • Your name (including all names you used while working) and social security account number.
  • Your mailing and residence address (including ZIP code) and telephone number (including area code).
  • Your state issued driver’s license or ID card number, if you have either.
  • The last date you worked for any employer. If you are working part-time be sure to tell us you are still working and give us the number of hours you are working each week.
  • Last employer information, including: name, address (mailing and physical location) and telephone number. We will also need the ZIP code for both addresses (mailing and physical location) and the area code for your last employer’s telephone number. Be specific about the spelling of the employer’s name and make sure the address is correct because we are required to mail a notice to that employer. An incorrect address will delay benefit payments.
  • Information on all employers you worked for during the 18 months prior to filing your claim, including: name, period of employment, wages earned and how you were paid.
  • The name of the employer you worked for the longest within the last year and a half; and the number of years you worked for that employer. This may or may not be the same as your last employer.
  • The reason you are no longer working for your last employer. You may have quit, been laid off, fired, or left work because of a trade dispute. Be specific about the reason you are not working because the information you give to us must be sent to your last employer. If you quit, were fired, or left work because of a trade dispute, you will be scheduled to a future telephone interview. The information we obtain during the interview will help us decide if you are eligible to receive benefits.
  • Whether you are receiving, or expect to receive any payments from a former employer. We ask about this because some types of payments may be deducted from your benefits. A few examples of payments that may be deducted include wages, pension payments, holiday pay, and vacation or sick pay.
  • Whether you are able to work and available to accept work.
  • Whether you have the legal right to work in the United States. Individuals who indicate they are registered with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS, formerly INS) and authorized to work in the United States will be asked for the title of their employment authorization document and information from the USCIS document, such as the Alien Identification Number, Card Number or Expiration Date.

The information provided is reproduced from the California EDD website